Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My Lard-for-Soap

I HAVE NO MEMORY!!

If I were 80, my kids would be gathering the following evidence (and other stories like it) to prove that I am not safe in my home, and should be committed to the nursing home where somebody could keep an eye on me.

While Philip was fetching the side of beef from the butcher on Saturday, I was cleaning the frost build-up out of the deep-freeze. Because of space issues with the last couple of half-cows, I've had to use space in the church freezer. So the first thing I did was take the properly weighed-and-measured tallow and lard out of the freezer, stick it in the cooler, and plan to return it to whichever freezer had space for it.

Turned out that the cow was a smaller one. The soap ingredients could've gone back into my freezer here. But I was pressed to get lunch on the table. "I'll do it later. I'll remember. I have to try hard to remember. Of course I'll remember: if I don't I'll be tripping over the cooler in the garage."

I forgot.

I even tripped over the cooler. But did that ring a bell in my brain. NOOOOOO!

When I went to grab the cooler today for hauling home groceries, it was heavy. The tallow was still solid. But the lard had thawed, softened, and spilled. I managed to scoop up some still-not-liquified lard and put it in the fridge. But I had a LOT of liquid piggy-fat to clean out of the cooler.

We didn't leave for errands as early as I'd desired.

And now I have to reweigh my lard amounts.

AND I don't know if I can refreeze, or if I have to make a LOT of soap in the next couple of weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I understand that eating lard can rob one of her memory. Apparently, laboratory rats that were fed a steady diet of lard could no longer remember dates or telephone numbers. Disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't SAY I was EATing it. I said I was washing with it, Mr WhatsYourName. Of course, there's some lard in the fridge, theoretically for use in cooking and baking, but I can't remember if I've eaten it....

    OH NO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete