Friday, July 13, 2007

Chores

I make my kids do chores.

I am lousy at making my kids do chores. They don't do nearly enough. I am not good at leaving them with the responsibility: I check up on them too often, or nag, or take the job from them to help out. I too too easily think of myself as the maid here.

Today the next-door neighbor munchkins came over to ask if Maggie could come out to play. We'd just finished lunch and some schoolwork. Maggie was starting to do the dinner dishes, which is one of her daily chores. When she was done we were going to do history and geography and a few other things. The kids responded that Maggie couldn't come out to play because she had to do the dishes.

Andrew heard the little boy (about age 7) mumble as he walked away, "Maggie's mom is so lazy."

Andrew was offended that anybody would say that about his mom. But I figured out the problem: Maggie is expected to do chores that Turk thinks are my job. So obviously I don't do anything around here, since Cindermaggie is doing all the work.

.... and pastors only work for an hour on Sunday morning. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate. Yesterday, I went with David in the afternoon for shut-in visits, something I haven't done since I've been here. We left the kiddos home because Grandpa and Grandma were coming soon. And Cinderhannah and Cinderellie were to water the plants, vacuum and mop the floor, decorate dad's cake, finish the laundry that was started, and scrub potatoes for supper. Most was done, I, lazy mom, had to do the last two chores mentioned, solely because some of the shut-ins weren't home and we arrived home earlier than intended and cousins had arrived.

    ReplyDelete