Friday, July 13, 2007

Lye

In the past couple of days, I have looked at FIVE grocery stores for lye. After all, I have a little soap to make. I hate shopping. It makes me cranky to shop. But I need lye. Problem is, there's no lye to be had.

I checked online tonight. Turns out that Red Devil has pulled their product for good. I couldn't tell whether it was due to liability issues or if sodium hydroxide might be an ingredient in meth. Either way, the only way to get lye for soap-making now is to order it online, in batches bigger than I want, and fill out paperwork for Hazmat. Furthermore, shipping fees are so high that it's going to cost me $3 for lye for a half-batch. At that price, it's going to take some thought to consider whether it'd be cheaper to buy soap.

"Oh dear, oh dear, whatever would we do without the government to protect us?" she grumbles.

I wonder if the Foxfire books tell how to make your own lye.

3 comments:

  1. Susan, when I was living in Shorewood during my husband's vicarage, I found a chemical supply place in the phonebook (in West Allis, I think) that would sell lye in relatively small quantities. I don't know how often you go to MKE but it might be worth investigating. I have read that making lyewater involves ashes and water but I don't know the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that place. Thanks, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or try ebay, to wit:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sodium-Hydroxide-Lye-32oz-A-Red-Hot-Devil-ish-Deal_W0QQitemZ180141341779QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    2 pound container. No HazMat fees.

    ReplyDelete