Friday, July 13, 2007

Blogging

I've had people tell me that I shouldn't blog.

One person told me that, if I don't want to get into long and involved theological arguments and debates, then I shouldn't blog at all. Another person told me that I don't have time for blogging, and he has a valid point. Furthermore, I've spent many years thinking that real-life interaction is far preferable to socializing via the computer's electronic means.

But Anthea blogged today about her upcoming move. She mentioned that she'd try to update her LiveJournal more often, and that made me so happy. My friend Erin is considering starting a blog. I hate to say anything to put pressure on her, but I know I would be very happy to read little snippets about what she (and the kids!) are up to. Even when it's just the mundane things.

I love to read my daughters' blogs. (And even my sons' who are still living here in the same house!) Sure, I talk to the girls on the phone. But I want to read the little things about Rachel's kitten or Katie seeing Nat on campus (even if she didn't get to talk to him much) and both girls' job hunts. Those little things in life are what allow me to share in the unimportant daily things that make up so much of people's lives.

Once upon a time, I spent about a year writing a nice long newsy letter each week to family. I would photocopy it and send one to my in-laws and my folks and my aunt. Now, my blog accomplishes that for me, without photocopying and without paying the post office.

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, am very glad you blog, and enjoy stopping by regularly. In fact, that's why I seconded Jane's Thinking Blogger nomination:

    http://barbaramfrank.blogspot.com/2007/07/thinking-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Blogging often accomplishes what long letters used to accomplish, but more frequently, and in close to real time.

    In reality, when mail used to take weeks and families were separated for various reasons, I think families and friends would've wished for the opportunities that blogging and email provides.

    I completely agree that real contact is important, too. But this gives a forum that when these types of discussions used to exist could take YEARS to come to a conclusion. That just blows me away that people had that type of patience.

    But all the same, I really don't have the time to be doing this either. But I really really enjoy the legitimate exchange of ideas and insights into people's lives that occur here.

    ReplyDelete