Monday, February 16, 2009

Psalm 147

Our psalm-0f-the-week last week was 147. I was confused. There was all this good stuff: God sends rain for the grass to grow, He feeds the animals, He makes the stars twinkle, He forgives our sin, He protects us from harm, etc. Aren't those nice, happy things?

But then there was the part about snow and hail and frost and cold. Now, to my way of thinking, those are bad things. I like summer! I am not interested in snowmobiling and cross-country skiing. When I asked, "So are those things good too?" Pastor answered, "Of course, because they are from God."

Snow? Good. Hmmm.

But as he continued to talk, I began to realize that I'd asked the wrong question. I should've asked, "Are those happy things?" Pastor was making the point that what God ordains is always good, even if it's illness or poverty or death. Or snow and hail and cold. Or illness or poverty or death.

No comments:

Post a Comment