Thursday, February 19, 2009

Profit in Blood?

I cried out to You, O Lord;
and to the Lord I made supplication:
"What profit is there in my blood,
when I go down to the pit?
Will the dust praise You?
Will it declare Your truth?
Hear, O Lord, and have mercy on me;
Lord, be my helper!"
(Psalm 30)

David wrote those words. I imagine them to be saying, "Hey, God, what good is it if I die? Y'know, I can't tell people about You if I'm dead. I can't praise you if I'm dead. Have mercy on me and help me."

And maybe that is what he's saying. I don't know.

But all the psalms belong in Jesus' mouth too.

And right now I'm thinking that Jesus knew why He went to the cross. What profit is there in His blood? Only the righting of all that is wrong. Only the redemption of sinners. Only the reversal of weeds and earthquakes and storms and violence.
The curse I choose
that thou mightst lose
sin's curse and guilt forever.
My gift of love
from heaven above
will give thee blessing ever.
(TLH 150)

Will the dust praise God? Will the dust declare His truth? From the psalm, I thought the answer was supposed to be "no." But isn't the answer "yes"? Man is dust. And we do praise Him. We do declare the wondrous truth that He has saved us and joined us to Himself, that He has had mercy, that He has been our Helper.

And we do that only because there is "profit in His blood."
He is our Treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment