Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"100" -- Trees

69. A little OAK tree.




70. Here's a close-up picture of the leaves of a tree. This looks just like the one I found growing as a weed in my garden about 10 years ago. Rather than pulling it out or plowing it under, we chose to transplant it. This is how much it's grown: about 25' tall in a decade.



It took me a long long time to figure out whether it was a quaking aspen or a cottonwood, both of which are members of the poplar genus. But finally I figured out that it is a COTTONWOOD.




71. The SUMACs have large compound leaves and "drupes" of berries. Sumac is often noticeable along the interstates in autumn. The shrubs are short and spreading, often with bright red leaflets and bright red/orange bundles of berries. Sumac is in the same family as poison ivy. Some species of sumac have edible berries. I think it's interesting how these heavy berry-clusters can stand up instead of hang from the branch. This sumac appears to be a staghorn sumac, but I didn't take a good enough (i.e, close enough) look to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment