Monday, July 14, 2008

Decorating

(Hey, check it out! I'm figuring out how to work the camera and how to add pictures to my blog without complete step-by-step instruction by the kids every time I attempt pictures!)



With the red walls in our living room, a lot of our framed art didn't look so great in the house. Like I wrote the other day, figuring out how to make the house look nice is very taxing to my brain! So anyway, we were trying to look through what we had, figure what we especially wanted on the walls, what was expendable, and what might work. So we find this poster of Luther at the Diet of Worms; it had been rolled up in a tube for years after Gary won it as a door prize somewhere. Okay, the colors work very well in the living room. But it needed a frame. We tried a poster frame. No good. So we checked at Goodwill for a frame yesterday. Ooooh -- found a NICE frame, almost the right size, for only $5.


Turned out that my poster and backing didn't fit the glass and the frame. So I decided to just put the picture on top of what was previously in the frame. UGH! The colors were awful together. So now what? I found the touch-up paint for the living room and put that around the edges to cover the blue/purple/grays underneath. I would've rather used black, but I didn't have that available, and I'm not altogether too patient with this decorating stuff.

The second coat of paint dried overnight, and we proceeded to try to reassemble this complicated frame. Eventually we got it. Between me and Andrew, only three cuts on our fingers from the sharp edges of glass. And then we found the studs for the nails. Overall, it looks fairly decent. Not the best, but better than using Wacky Tack to hang a poster, which is more like my normal decorating modus operandi.

3 comments:

  1. AND, you even hung the picture close enough to the piano. Hurray! Love the red wall, too.

    (Usually people hang everything way too high!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The friend who was over here the other day mentioned the same thing, Jenny. She said everybody hangs things too high. She said the only exception is a crucifix; she said it's okay to put that high enough that we need to look up a little. Of course, she said that we have much taller people in our house than she has there, so our wall decorations should maybe be a little higher than at her house. Wow -- things I never would have thought of!!!

    ReplyDelete