Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"100" -- Garden Patch

These are the five veggies I planted in my tiny little space on the sunny side of the garage.

10. CANTALOUPE










11. CUCUMBER



I have a hard time telling cucumber and cantaloupe apart. The seeds are nearly identical. The vines are quite similar. But I know which is which right now (before the fruit begins to be produced) because I planted the seeds from little baggies that had pictures on them.






12. There's something I just love about the smell of a TOMATO vine.










13. This LETTUCE is "black-seeded Simpson" which I know because I saw the seed packet. On the other hand, I've planted this enough times, and seen other kinds of lettuce, that maybe, just maybe, I'd be able to ID the particular kind of lettuce if I saw it elsewhere (but I'm not counting on it).







14. Cabbage leaves with a knobby base of the stem = KOHLRABI. The earwigs have been at my lettuce and kohlrabi.

2 comments:

  1. Can kohlrabi be planted in late summer for a late fall harvest just like all the other "cabbage-y" sorts of veggies?

    If so, I can put some in after my green beans are done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a cool-weather crop. Seems like it could be planted in fall just like spinach is.

    ReplyDelete