Friday, July 18, 2008

"100" -- Around the House

15. A patch of DAY LILIES by the mailbox. Turns out there are lots of different kinds of day lilies; the most popular ones around here are a small yellow trumpet-shaped lily.









I'm not counting the WEIGELA as part of my 100 species. The only reason I can identify it is because it was planted recently by the previous owners, and the tag is still on it. Maybe in time, as it grows and I get used to seeing it, I'll be able to recognize weigela in other people's yards even if there is no tag to read the label!




16. I'm not sure why the RASPBERRIES are planted under the eaves, hiding next to and under the lilac. But that's where there are a few. I hope to put out a nice big long row of 'em next year, in the sun, where they belong.






17 & 18. RHUBARB is also planted under the eaves, where it doesn't get much rain. Not sure why. Maybe I can fix that in years to come.

The first spring at our old house, I thought we had rhubarb. We didn't. We had BURDOCK. Even now that I know the difference, it's really only the redness of the stem on the rhubarb that enables me to differentiate rhubarb and short burdock. If it's not in a place where you mow, once the burdock starts to grow really tall, that too helps distinguish the two. Oh, yeah, and the fact that rhubarb doesn't have burs that get stuck in the cats' coats.










19. We have four different kinds of HOSTAS planted next to the house, and many more varieties in the neighborhood. The one on the left is called "lemon lime" hosta because of the yellow and green colors. I don't know what kind of hosta is this particular blend of green & white.

1 comment:

  1. Daylily flower buds are apparently edible, but I've never tried them.

    ReplyDelete