Sunday, January 06, 2008

Sick

I forgot how much it stinks to be sick. Usually when something begins coming on, when I lose my voice, when I start the runny or stuffy nose, I do what you're supposed to do: plenty of liquids, lots of rest, vitamin C and garlic and a little echinacea. And that keeps me functional. So I knew I was in trouble when I realized I was going to be up all night on New Year's Eve after having begun to feel a smidge under-the-weather on Sunday. So far it's been three days of fever and lying around thinking of nothing but, "Oh, this hurts." A loving family has helped immensely. Gary (although he's still recuperating from sickness too) did my paper routes this weekend. Paul did the weekly grocery shopping and then made another trip when we realized the freezer was empty of bread, and I sure wasn't going to be making any anytime soon. Maggie and Andrew have been helpful go-fers. Andrew has done a significant amount of cooking. And Rachel spearheaded the taking down of the Christmas tree (while she was supposed to be here only to have fun and visit Anthea).

5 comments:

  1. The Lord granted us here to be healthy to sing for Christmas Eve and Day. I'm thankful for that: makes it easier to bear the fact that we're all three of us sick now!

    Phooey. Such is January, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, Susan. Hope you feel better soon. If you had what I had back in December you have all my sympathies, and of course, prayers for a speedy recovery. Sick at the holidays almost seems doubly unfair. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your blog was a bit quieter than usual! Hope you're feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest daughter and I have been suffering with some viral thing that robbed us of our voices as well. The hardest thing has been that I can't read aloud to our youngest.

    Praying for health for all of you soon!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was invading your house on short notice... helping with the tree was the least I could do.

    (although... there's this teensy part of me that hopes I get that sick just so I don't have to go to work for three days)

    ReplyDelete