Monday, June 11, 2007

"Singing the Devil Away" (8)

If I've sinned and done what's wrong,
Then I say I'm sorry.
My one antidote for guilt
Is the blood of Jesus.
That's the ransom for my soul
From all evil-doing.
If I show it at God's throne,
I have His approval.

Notice that the "I'm sorry" is spoken, but is not the antidote for guilt. Contrition goes hand-in-hand with faith, but is never the thing that gives assurance of forgiveness. The only thing that rescues us from evil-doing (and from the guilt associated with it) is Jesus' blood.

The last couple of lines remind me of "In Thee Alone," where it says about Christ's death and sacrifice:
Lord, show before the Father's throne
That Thou didst for my sin atone.
So shall I from my load be freed.
Thy Word I plead.
Keep me, O Lord, each hour of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment