Monday, June 11, 2007

"Singing the Devil Away" (7)

The Gerhardt hymn "Let Me Rise" goes on with the Christian's response to the devil's accusations. The venom has been removed from Satan's bite. It is the cross of Christ which has crushed Satan's head and provides for us the feast in heaven.

I will shake my head and say:
"Flee, you snake, you dragon!
You can't strike me with your sting.
You can't make me fearful!
Christ has crushed your toxic head
with His painful passion.
He has snatched me from your reach
to His hall for feasting.

"If you tell me I have sinned,
I will answer boldly:
I don't take my lead from you
for my self-appraisal.
Who has given you the right
to condemn God's people?
Aren't you now already stuck
in hell's fiery fury?"

Then the song goes on to tell Satan that he has no right to throw our sin in our faces. And it reminds us of the communion hymn: "Who can condemn me now for surely the Lord is nigh who justifies." And Romans 8: "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." And the lines from "God's Own Child": telling Satan to "drop his ugly accusation" and "now that to the font I've traveled, all your might has come unraveled."

They say "the winner writes the history." It's true. But that never stopped the devil from trying to rewrite history from his own perspective. They also say that if you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it. That's what the devil is aiming for with his accusations!

No comments:

Post a Comment