Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wart Removal

Thanks to the loan of a car from a friend, I managed to squeeze in a visit to my parents this week before Dad starts chemo. (Boy, their calendar is so full of doctor visits right now that it makes my head swim!) While there, the tv was on now and then. I noticed several ads for Compound W and other wart-removal schemes.

The real solution? VITAMIN E.

About 10-15 years ago, we were having problems with warts. A friend's family had problems with them too; she told me that they suspected there was a problem with the virus in their soil. We tried several different brands of wart removers. We tried going to the doctor to freeze them off. We tried the plan where you tape banana peel to the wart, putting on fresh banana peel several times a day. (Banana lovers thought this was a good plan. Somebody had to be eating these bananas so we could make medicinal use of the peel.)

Then somebody told us about vitamin E. It worked better than any of the alternatives. Much faster too. And way cheaper.

You just get a vitamin E capsule, poke a hole into it with a pin, and squeeze some of the oil out onto the wart and just a smidge onto the surrounding skin. Ideally you would apply the vitamin E oil 3-4 times per day. But sometimes we'd remember twice on one day, and only once on the next. Overall, though, it took only a week for the wart to simply fall off. No pain. No doctor visit. No stinky medicine. And far less likelihood of having the wart come back there or anywhere else on the body.

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I wish I'd known this one when I was in college. I have eleven nasty scars from having them frozen off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has warts on his knee that we haven't been able to remove. They've been frozen 4 times and always return. I'm picking up Vitamin E capsules today! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, that's exactly where we were, going back to the doctor again and again, and not getting results. My mind was boggled by the effectiveness of those vitamin E capsules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dummy me asks, "Isn't vitamin E oil the same thing and therefore I can use that since it is in my cupboard?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Glenda, vitamin E oil is the stuff that's in the vit E capsules. I bought a bottle of the oil once (because it was cheaper than buying capsules), but it was so sticky I went back to using the capsules. With the capsules, I can just poke the hole in it, and touch only the gel-cap and not mess with the sticky oil. But you're safe: the oil is the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete