Saturday, July 26, 2008

"100" -- Trees in Yard

Because my children are making me obey the rules about identifying species "within a mile of your home," they won't let me count this one. It's in the backyard of our old home. We planted it quite a few years ago. Last week I stopped and nabbed some MULBERRIES when I was in the neighborhood doing some errands. I'm sure Katie is jealous.


I can't tell the difference between the members of the rose family until they fruit. The peach trees, plums, apples, crab apples, apricots, cherries, and pears all look alike to me. (Hey, is there a parable about that: the way to tell what the thing is would be to look at its fruit??) Anyway, this one with the dark leaves is #20 on my list, a PLUM TREE.


21. BIRCH TREES always make me think of Wisconsin. I loved it, back when I was little, when we got far enough north on Highway 51 on our way to the northwoods, and there were birch trees everywhere!


22. The guys picked CHERRIES one day, but I never got around to finishing off the picking and doing something with the fruit. I feel so wasteful! Perfectly decent cherries and I let the critters have them instead of eating them ourselves. I intend to do better next year.


23. There is one LILAC by the garage and another by Maggie's bedroom window.




24. This CRAB APPLE TREE flowers so prettily and is placed near the corner for everyone to enjoy in May as they come into our little section of dead-end streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment