Friday, July 25, 2008

Cafeteria

Information from Paul's college's cafeteria arrived recently. It touts the healthy food choices available, but the word "healthy" seemed to be used nearly interchangeably with "low fat." I don't agree with that. I think "healthy" and "minimally refined" are more synonymous than "healthy" and "low fat, low calorie."

So I asked the food-service director. He tells me they have whole grain breads. But is that what I call "whole grain"? Or is it the kind of bread that has a little whole grains, just enough for them to legally label it whole-grain bread? I asked about brown rice, and I was told they have it available. But is it real brown rice, or brown Minute Rice? I asked about peanut butter, and was not surprised to find that it's the standard kind, made with hydrogenated fats and high-fructose corn syrup. But when I asked about butter, I was surprised that they don't even have any of that. EEEEEEKS!

Philip, Katie, and Nathan -- none of them did well with cafeteria food. Paul cares more about eating right than any of them did when they headed off on their own. When Gary and I would face 4 days of cafeteria food (oh, say, at FtW sem for symposium, prior to the era when Jane and/or Katie would feed us part of the time while there), a person can get to feeling pretty cruddy in that short amount of time. It's going to take some careful choosing on Paul's part to get enough unrefined foods into him to feel fit.

4 comments:

  1. And maybe he would like to come over for a meal once a week or so, where I have real butter, homemade bread, real peanut butter, fruits and veggies, plus some of the other stuff that isn't so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Glenda, I'd love to have him take you up on this offer! But since Zippy died, he's going to be going to college without a car. That's going to limit him as to where he can visit, and where he can go to church, and where he can shop for peanut butter and stuff. I still keep thinking that we need to get him a car....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the farmer's market is within walking distance, especially for a strapping young college student. Although I'm not sure how long into the fall that farmer's market goes as it is too far for me to make use of since there is one right in my town. Plus you'll have to start buttering up Marlene F. She lives right down the road from the school, easy walking distance, plus she would have all sorts of real food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my problems with the Bethany foodservice is that we have to have the 15- or 20-meals-a-week plan as freshmen and sophomores. So it doesn't really pay off to buy your own food, except for one meal a day. In a year I'm hoping to live in one of the on-campus apartments where you can have the 5-meals-a-week plan. I also miss real butter a lot. I haven't been taught like your family how to recognize the way food makes me feel though.

    ReplyDelete