Saturday, July 26, 2008

Walnut Cravings

I used to tolerate walnuts in the cookies or brownies. Sometimes I thought Mom would put nuts in the treats to slow their consumption by certain children. Even up till a year ago, when I had long since learned to like walnuts, I still preferred pecans and almonds. But I usually bought walnuts for the recipes where I needed nuts, simply because the walnuts were more economical.

For the last several months I've been having walnut cravings. I usually don't let myself get started because I just can't stop. When I make granola, I want to snitch as many for my mouth as I put into the whole recipe. Now when I put pecans in the granola, it's not the special treat it used to be ... because I WANT walnuts.

Then I went to the store to refill the walnut supply. Oh no! What happened? The walnuts are significantly more expensive than the pecans and almonds now. Oh dear. This is sad.

I suppose planting a walnut tree will not be a very speedy solution, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Do you care for black walnuts? I think they are perfect in fudge. Not that I get to eat it anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! But what's wrong with fudge for an Atkins guy? All that fat in it! Oh, wait, there IS the sugar, too, isn't there? But just think of alllll the potassium! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... walnuts. There's a walnut tree next door, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do with the green fruit to end up with a walnut. Dry it? Cook it?

    ReplyDelete