Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Psalm 37:28

For the Lord loves justice,
and does not forsake His saints.


The response of my works-righteous heart: If I practice justice, if I am fair, if I do right, then God will not forsake me. He will like me and stick with me if I am properly "doing justice" for fellow-humans.

A better way to hear this verse: Because the Lord loves justice, and does justice, and already meted out punishment on Jesus for my sin, He cannot punish a second time. That would not be just. Instead, He will justify me, declare me righteous for Jesus' sake. Because He is just and loves the justice He enacts, He will be faithful to His promises, and hang onto His saints forever, never leaving them nor forsaking them. (Even if they are sinners and do not practice justice like they ought.)

No comments:

Post a Comment