Wednesday, May 21, 2008

In-

Working on some editing today, Pastor and I ran across the word "inchastity" in the Book of Concord. Everywhere else in the book, it was translated "unchastity." So we debated whether that was an intentional translation or a slip of the typing fingers. After all, I said, "in-" can be a prefix for negating. Pastor was skeptical about that one, and he spent a few seconds trying to come up with a word that used "in-" as a negation. He couldn't think of any, so he asked me. It took me about 1/2 a second to come up with ...

insane.

For some reason, a few people found that amusing.
(Of all words to come to mind.... sheeesh.)

9 comments:

  1. That is funny!

    How about insecure..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Susan,

    I was reading your blog late last night and was making a game out of coming up with negative "in" words. So, all I could come up with last night was insecure. Now, looking back at my comment from last night with no explanation, it looks rather stupid! I should not write late at night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Michelle, I thought your mention of "insecure" was perfectly clear as far as being an example! Go ahead -- keep writing late at night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. intractable,
    incredible,
    indeterminate,
    invulnerable,
    indestructible,
    indefinable,
    indelible,
    infallible,
    inedible,
    inevitable,
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Nat, like indeterminate and intractable are words that would come to my mind instantaneously! LOL! But, now, infallible probably should've come to mind as we were working on a theology book. I guess it wasn't so much a question of vocabulary as it was a psychological thing of QUICK word associations (which I'm sure you can appreciate) and what it means that insane was the first word to come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hopefully Pastor didn't take offense that in talking with *him* that is the word you instantly thought of. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Glenda, he knew very well I was not referring to him! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Involuntary popped right into my mind.

    ReplyDelete