Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Desk

A friend gave us a beautiful oak roll-top desk this past weekend. He had built it once-upon-a-time, so it has special meaning that way as well as being a very practical place to store a lot of paperwork-stuff that I haven't figured out in the new house yet.

I spent the whole day today working through the drawers of the old desk, figuring out which things should go together in which new drawers and new cubbies and new slots. And then there was the paperwork all over the kitchen counter and the top of my dresser, all of which has a much better place to live now.

I found beads from broken necklaces that had been stored away for little girls' projects. I found 150 million pens. (Well, okay, not quiiiite that many. But shame on the person in my house who decides to pick up pens from a hotel or from a college open-house!) I found a 1990 phone book from the town we used to live in. I found all the old Christmas cards I had designed. I found catalogs and envelopes and erasers and Canadian money. I found bank statements for banks where we no longer have accounts (and haven't had for years). Y'know, when I got rid of the junk, I didn't need nearly as many drawers as I'd been using before!

1 comment:

  1. We, too, have a roll top desk; I love it. Of course mine will be clean the day I clean it, but most often it is full of school stuff, dust, bill stuff, magazines to be given to the next person, dust, misc. papers, cards, dust, games, correspondence, dust, light bulbs, pictures, books, and yep you guessed it, dust.

    But I still love it and I hope you enjoy yours too. Better luck keeping it organized than me!

    ReplyDelete