Sunday, April 20, 2008

Today's Voters Meeting

The congregation agreed to give Gary a peaceful release from his call as pastor. Next Sunday is his last Sunday there. They will pay him for May because he has not taken his 2007 or 2008 vacation time. They agreed to swap us our stove for their fridge -- because we can't use a propane stove here, and they could use a spare, and we need more fridge space at the new house. So that was nice.

Gary said there were three woman at church who expressed their sorrow to be losing him.

The circuit counselor used to be pastor at Triune. So when the parsonage problems (particularly the serious flooding of the last few weeks) were raised at the voters meeting today, the circuit counselor could verify that there were mold and mildew problems and flooding in the basement way back when he was their pastor 25 years ago. In other words, it's not our family's fault that there are serious flaws in the parsonage. I'm glad the CC knew what it was like to live there and could thus deflect accusations of our "mistreating" the house.

We were told they do not have the money to pay April and May's salary as well as the last nine months of mileage reimbursement right now. They may have to pick away slowly at paying those obligations to us. I'm dumbfounded. Between Gary's pay-cuts and their not being responsible for health insurance premiums any more, they spent $5800 less for Jan-Apr this year than they spent last year. And yet they still don't have the money to pay 2007's mileage reimbursement. Where would the congregation be financially if they were still trying to support a full-time pastor???

6 comments:

  1. This is a tragedy at more levels than I can count. You and your family have been in our prayers for many months. I hope that this new vocation for Gary will give him some rest, and that he may be able to return to the pulpit sometime very soon. Please give him my best.

    Pr. Peperkorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope I wasn't unclear, Pr P., Gary requested a peaceful release last Sunday.

    And the new job certainly has been restful for him in many ways. He's learning a lot of new things, and some of his co-workers think it's a stressful job, but this job is stressful in an altogether different way than the events of last year.

    >>in our prayers

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry things have turned out this way, Susan..but glad that God has given you both peace about it. I pray that you will someday know the love a congregation can have for its shepherd. I am very glad your CC could stand up for you!!!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many years ago, we saw our beloved pastor, our shepherd, forced out of our church because of complaints like, "He won't join our church bowling league because he's too busy visiting the shut-ins!"

    It was very sad; his last day there was also our last day there, and we found another church.

    After some R&R, he got right back into ministry. Now "retired" and in his early 80s, he continues to serve the Lord in volunteer jobs that would wear out men half his age.

    I'm glad God is giving you both some R&R, as I'm sure He has more for your dh and you to do in the future, just as he did for our pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, it breaks my heart (and brings tears) to hear that this is the way things have gone and that we are (temporarily, I pray) losing a faithful, confessional pastor. Robb and I continue to keep you and Gary in our prayers. I pray (no, I know) God will use this time of rest to strengthen Gary and you for the next call. I am thankful that Gary has found a position that will enable him to take of the family you have been blessed with.

    In Christ,
    Michelle in NM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,

    You've been in our prayers for a long time and continue to be. I'm glad that there is some closure to this situation, but I know that now you and your family have a lot of adjusting. Moves are hard, new jobs are hard, and so much more. I remember how hard moving here was on my kids. Chris slept in our room again for 6 months. He hadn't done that in years.

    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete