Friday, April 25, 2008

Penne Rosa

Oh dear. I have a problem. We ate leftovers and fruit and sandwiches about 2:30 when Paul got off work. I had no clue what we'd be doing for dinner when Gary got home, but I was doing fine, feeling full, and not particularly desirous of another meal.

Paul, however, had an idea. When Jane took us to Noodles last week, Paul had penne rosa. He liked it. He really liked it. Today he started his job at Noodles. (I'm so glad we went to Noodles last week. That's how come we knew they were hiring. So multi-thanks to Jane!) Paul says he had penna rosa and stroganoff "under his nose" all day. Apparently those are two of the most popular dishes ... and I can see why! Paul thought we should whip up some penne rosa for supper. So he googled a few recipes, and we combined the ideas therein, and this is what we threw together ... and what we ate FAR too much of!! And that's my problem: I am totally stuffed.


Penne Rosa

Set pasta water to heat to a boil. Meanwhile,

Saute
1 onion, chopped
8-10 oz raw chicken, chopped into bite-size pieces
in a little olive oil
until onion begins to soften
and chicken is only slightly pink.

Add 4 small zucchini, chopped (about 16-20 oz)
Saute 3-5 minutes longer.

Add 1 lb of frozen chopped spinach.
Saute a couple of minutes longer.

Add
15 oz jar of garlic alfredo sauce
26 oz jar of spaghetti sauce
1 pint of cottage cheese

Water should be boiling now.
Add 1 tsp of salt and
1 tsp of red pepper flakes to water.
Boil 2# of penne noodles.

Serve sauce over drained noodles.
Try not to hurt each other as you're fighting over who gets the leftovers.

Cost was about $11-12. Served 6 of us with leftovers, so it's probably 10-12 normal servings. It doesn't look real pretty but it tastes awesome.

8 comments:

  1. All this talk of Noodles & Co is making me soooooooo hungry!! I didn't even get to go the last time I came home! *sob* *wail* =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We visited our local Noodles this evening. (Aaron had some stash money put away.) My favorite is Bangkok Curry. I will have to try your recipe!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, you could make it with non-gluten noodles, but there's a lot of dairy in this stuff.

    Anthea, sorry to taunt. Are you coming home for summer, or does the program just keep going year-round?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Noodles, too. My favorite dishes are the pesto cavatappi, the Thai curry soup & the cucumber-tomato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am eating dairy...too hard to give up. (More difficult than gluten IMHO.) I do watch how much and when I eat it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, I'm glad Paul got a job!

    And I'm definitely going to have to try that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only time I've been to a Noodles is when I've been in Wisconsin. We loved it!

    Hooray for Paul's job!

    I'm often down to two or three at the table. I want to try your recipe, but will have to cut it WAY back. one chicken breast, 8 oz. noodles, one small zucchini, etc.

    Sounds great. I'm looking forward to summer vacation for the time to cook more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, I am here all summer. I guess that's part of the cost of finishing in two years! But, I should be back/in the area again in almost exactly a year... I'm convincing myself that it isn't that long.

    ReplyDelete