Thursday, April 24, 2008

Scary

Between using our soil to grow ethanol and drought/war conditions in parts of the world, the price of food is going up. (Oh! You may have noticed that??) Some stores are now beginning to ration rice. Now I'm pondering what the neighbors would think if I grew wheat instead of grass. And would I know how to harvest and thresh it if I did?

Ethanol to prevent global warming -- when we're having news reports of an impending ice age. (Good grief! If that's true, we're just making things WORSE with the whole "fight global warming" trend!) Ethanol running up the cost of groceries here and causing starvation in poorer nations. WHY is it so hard for politicians to stand up for what's right and let the oil companies start drilling for all that oil in Alaska and North Dakota and the Gulf??

3 comments:

  1. Because they are environmental whackos. Don't you listen to Rush anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rant on, Susan! I'll join you!
    Last year I spent about $8 a bag on chicken feed (locally grown and mixed, no antibiotics.) This year, the same grain is $12. After all, corn is high, and no one is planting oats and wheat (all three are needed) because they can get so much for corn.
    Oh, and the politicians can't suggest drilling for oil in AK or ND. They also can't suggest pulling all our soldiers and embassies back home. We want them reelected, don't we? Don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if I can get someone from church to give me a few five-gallon buckets full when they "take down" the wheat in June... but I don't have any way to mill it.

    ReplyDelete