Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fashion and Modesty

Okay, I'm standin' in the check-out line at the grocery store a few minutes ago. You know what's on the covers of those magazines: "bedroom" advice (and I don't mean about matching your curtains to your throw-pillows), and women in low-cut slinky dresses and too much make-up, and aliens impregnating earth-women, and everybody's scandal. So my eyes are scanning the covers, and [shock of shocks!] I see a pretty dress. I need a winter dress and haven't been able to find anything; for two years I've been trying to convince myself to find time to sew a nice warm long-sleeved pretty winter dress. And there, smack-dab on the cover of a magazine in the check-out line (!) was a picture of a pretty dress. My eyes scanned further: it was People magazine. My eyes scanned further: it was about the polygamist cult in Texas.

Does that say something frumpy about me that I like that dress?
Or does that say something about how far society has slid?

7 comments:

  1. If it can be said about you, it can be said about me. The first time I saw the dresses, I also thought how pretty they were. Maybe you and I are living in the wrong century?

    ReplyDelete
  2. But this does mean you saw their FLDS version of Texas big hair, right? Isn't it hilarious? It looks (to me) like male televangelist hair...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, the woman in the picture was kinda looking down at a kid, so you didn't get a real good look at the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I think then that you will appreciate this recent AP article:

    http://tinyurl.com/4kh8n8

    Btw...can we still be friends even though I can't live without my make-up?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, "make-up" and "too much make-up" are different things. And the low-cut slinky dresses combined with too much make-up, on magazine after magazine after magazine, combined with the captions that make your eyes pop out.... whoa!
    (And YES we can still be friends even though you can't live without make-up. LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, first your "A Little Cleavage" post and now this one. I take it you are really gunning for the Anti-Susan B. Anthony award or something aren't you... *Susan*? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find myself casting envious glances at the lovely Amish girls I see at Aldi sometimes in my area. Such simple clean dresses; no deciding what to wear, and made exact to your size, too.

    I'll pass on the puff/pleated sleeve of the FLDS ladies, though. Don't care for that.

    ReplyDelete