Saturday, December 01, 2007

Birkenstocks

Did you know that if you wear sandals and cotton socks outdoors in 2-3" of snow, that your socks will get snowy? And when they get snowy, the so-called heat coming from your chilly feet will melt the snow? (Surely not! Surely feet outdoors in sandals are not warmer than 32 degrees?!?) And then your feet would be wet. And wet feet in the cold winter are even colder than dry feet.

Did you know that?
I know it.
Now.
You would've thought I'd be smart enough to knooow that without trying it out as an experiment. But no........

Boy, I knew there was a reason for keeping an old pair of Birkenstocks around. (I mean, besides the ingrained packrat mentality.) The shoes hiding in the back of the closet are DRY.

I discovered something, though, from those old Birkenstocks. The ones I've been buying off ebay for the last few years, the ones with the "easy to adjust to" sole, don't have nearly as much arch support as the "uncomfortable" styles. Back to the uncomfortable version for me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm lost. What do you mean by the Birkenstocks you buy off eBay as compared to the uncomfortable ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last few pairs I got off ebay had the "softbed" which is supposed to break-in quicker, and feel softer while being broken in and conformed to your foot. They did feel all soft and cushy to start. But I would rather have the ones that are flatter and straighter and harder at the beginning (supposedly less comfortable), because after the first week they end up being ultimately much more comfortable than the softbed kinds, with better arch support.

    ReplyDelete