Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Country Vets

The vets who take care of cows, sheep, pigs, and horses are the vets who know that cats and dogs are animals and not people. They know that people love their pets. They offer many services to those who want fancy-schmancy care for their kitties and doggies. But they also know that pets are NOT children. Too many city vets and small-animal vets don't quite understand that.

I called today to make the appointment for Rosie's spaying. They told me the cost for the office visit and surgery, as well as the mandatory rabies shot. Then she told me all the other shots and tests they could offer (for distemper and leukemia and stuff). But the receptionist reiterated that the only requirement was the rabies shot. Great! The bill for Rosie is going to be less than half of the bill for my daughter's cat's spaying and declawing.

Furthermore, no country vet is going to scold you for not brushing your dog's teeth (like has happened to some of my friends in the city).

It would be well worth the gas-money to take a drive out to the country for a vet like we've got.

3 comments:

  1. We don't brush Ellie's teeth and the vet never sees her teeth 'cause she has to have a muzzle on every time she goes to the vet. Maybe we should be glad they put that muzzle on her. :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... as one of those country vets you espouse, I guess I have to say thanks, although I personally only work on large animals and don't do anything with pets. I'm glad that you've found a vet that you like and who offers a quality and cost of medical care with which you are satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! We're looking for a country vet right now because our current vet just doesn't "get" that we live on a farm.

    ReplyDelete