Monday, November 26, 2007

Email Postcards

Snopes confirms another computer virus making the rounds disguised as postcards or online greeting cards. The thing that I never know, though, is how we're supposed to tell the difference between the notices for the real and fake greeting cards.

Snopes had some advice for that. It said never to click on the link in the greeting card. Instead, you can go directly to the card company's website, find the "card pick-up page" on the site, and input the ID number of the card (which would've been included in the email notification about the card).

Maybe this is obvious to y'all, but so far I've been playing Russian Roulette, hoping that the cards Maggie and I have received have been real and not attempts to crash my computer. Now I know how to circumvent that possibility. If only I can remember....

1 comment:

  1. I've received several of the "virus" cards on my spam-infested yahoo email. :( Your the first person I know that's written a warning, but right from the get-go I could tell something was "off" about the website or email addresses from where they came.

    ReplyDelete