Monday, October 08, 2007

Lilacs

This is some funky weather we're having. I know lots of people are wishing for the crisp cool days of autumn. But I kinda like summer. I'm not minding these days in the 80s and even topping 90. (I'm not so fond of the hyper-abundance of beetles that accompanies the warmth, but hey, they'd be bad with the harvesting going on anyway.)

But the super-weirdness is that one of my lilacs has bloomed. It's October. Lilacs bloom in May. Didn't the shrub read the instruction manual?? They're little blooms, about the size of carnations. I hope this doesn't do in next May's blossoms.

3 comments:

  1. Now that I'm thinking of it, it was really warm like this four years ago. A bunch of us decided to wear red dressed to Pr Wiest's funeral, and a few of us had to pick a more boring color because the weather just demanded summery dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is strange to have lilace bloom but what a wonderful treat! My lilacs did not bloom this spring because we had a really late freeze that killed the buds. They were missed greatly by the children and me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not me! We moved up here because we like the cold, and today it's in the mid-80s and our rental house doesn't have a/c. :0 Supposed to get down to the 50s for a high soon; now that's my kind of weather.

    PS Try pruning off the lilac blooms as soon as they're spent and you may do ok next spring.

    ReplyDelete