Tuesday, October 09, 2007

New Words in the Hymnal

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

As I've continued to struggle with the changes to the hymns I've memorized, Pastor has continued to remind me that the truth of the absolution is always the same. He has continued to remind me that it's okay if the words presenting that truth change, much like the sermon changes from week to week.

There is a need for keeping the words the same so that we can hang onto them and learn them by heart. Every time I hear pastors and church musicians extol Christians of past generations for the vast number of hymns they sang by heart, I can't help but think that we can't do that today because the powers-that-be keep changing the words on us! But I am trying to focus on what Pastor says about having a balance between keeping the words the same (learning them by heart) and having the fresh explanations that fit the times (just as Pastor's words in Bible class change each week, even though the message stays the same).

Gary and I are reading Christopher Boyd Brown's Singing the Gospel. On page 11 is an interesting statement. Though the CONTENTS of 16th-century hymnals were related to the public use of the hymns in worship, the BOOKS themselves were for the most part not intended for such use, either by professional musicians and clergy or by the laity. So what is that all about? In context, it sounds to me like people learned their hymns at home, sang them in family worship, and then those hymns were also used during the Divine Service. But maybe that's just what I imagine, as I keep stumbling over the hymns during church, and can no longer sing my way through the dishes-washing and the laundry-folding and veggie-chopping.

2 comments:

  1. I too have that problem. I L O V E D the words WE ALL BELIEVE IN ONE TRUE GOD in the TLH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our church is voting on the new hymnal this Sunday. It will be interesting to see how the vote goes. Only a handful from our church came when Pastor Bender did a special presentation for our area's churches. That made me sad. I was hoping for a better turn out from our church.

    This month we are singing (for devotions and beginning of meetings)"Lord, Keep Us Steadfast" from the new hymnal and I keep singing the words from TLH. As much as I like the new hymnal I know that I'm going to be missing the old words too...sigh

    ReplyDelete