Monday, July 07, 2008

Organic Veggies

Thursday Bible class was in charge of providing dinner one night for VBS. I took a whoppin' big batch of steamed carrots. Okay, so it's boring. It's easy. It's something I usually have on hand to take to potlucks. It's healthy. And it tastes good. Not good like a cheesecake, but good nonetheless, and your stomach feels better 3 hours after eating a pile of carrots than you do 3 hours after OD-ing on cheesecake.

I got so many compliments on the delicious carrots! When I took carrots to two potlucks at Triune, I got compliments there too. And I didn't DO anything. I just steamed carrots, put on some butter and sea salt, and that was it.

Ah, but they are organic carrots. And contrary to what I believed for many years, the taste of organic veggies sometimes makes a world of difference! We joined a CSA this year, and the strawberries and broccoli and spinach (all organic) are phenomenal. They are nothing like the veggies I get at Aldi or Pick-n-Save. Problem is, we're getting spoiled. What happens come November when we're back to store veggies? Ah, incentive to get my own garden going....

4 comments:

  1. It is funny how often people are surprised by the wonderful, pure flavor or organic food. My inlaws were drinking organic milk for the first time this week and weren't sure they liked it. It had "too strong" of a flavor. I teased them and said that is what milk is supposed to taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working towards eating seasonally, not for "eating Local" reasons, although that's a nice benefit, but for *cost* reasons.

    It means that winter is more meager as far as veggies are concerned, true. But, OH, the first strawberry in spring! And mercy, nothing tastes like that late summer sweet corn. Talk about spoiled. When you eat what's in season in your area, you get spoiled, too!

    When the day comes that I can put in a huge garden instead of a small one, I'll be planting kohlrabi, cabbage, potato, brussel sprouts - all those things to carry us thru till after Christmas. I can't wait!

    (By the way, what do I need to do to get 'nice' carrots? I seeded a little bed of carrots this year, but I'm afraid I'm only going to have stubby mutants! Do you have to have a super-sandy bed just for them?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice carrots. Not sandy, but loose. Loads of manure and compost. Carrots growing in clay will get you stubby little things. I know that from experience! I hear it's the same for all the root veggies. I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to get manure, and how I'm going to get it to my house without putting it in the back of my carpeted van.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lacking a garden for the past year and a half, my family once bought Schwan's frozen vegetables. They were the best frozen vegetables ever. They tasted almost like we'd picked and frozen them ourselves.

    ReplyDelete