Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Movies

Over the past several weeks, we have been bumping into GOOD movies. First was Girl with a Pearl Earring. It's basically "historical fiction" which is my favorite genre for books. It was decent enough for kids to watch. It's about a girl who was a maid in the home of a famous painter in the 1600s. For those of you who liked Spanglish (because of the characters not submitting to the desire to commit adultery), this story has some of that flavor too.

North and South was another one that came highly recommended, although I can't remember from whom. It is not about the Civil War, as the name would indicate to those of us who homeschooled history buffs. It is about a family who moves from the country (the south of England) to the city (in the north) where everything is about the mills and industry. We watched the first disc, and wanted to spend another two hours watching the second disc but didn't have it. ARGH! So we're still waiting to hear how the story works itself out. It was set in the late 1800s, and it really does a good job of showing the vocation of the workers and the bosses. But mostly it just is a riveting and well-done story (although it starts a little slowly). Highly recommended! But if you have it in your Netflix queue, don't start the first one until the second disc is in your house too. I hope I still feel the same way after we see the conclusion.

We also picked up Beautiful, a comedy with Minnie Driver about beauty shows. The heroine is an awful person, doing anything necessary to win Miss Illinois and then the Miss American Miss pageant. But in the face of adversity, she begins to grow up and make the right decisions. Some language that may be inappropriate for kids, as well as some pretty sassy behavior from the kids, but overall a really good show.

And finally, Madagascar. It was excellent! Hilariously, gut-busting funny! Great for kids and better for grown-ups! This is one of those movies that I might even consider buying ... and there aren't many that rank so high that I'd be willing to make space for them in the house.

6 comments:

  1. Have you seen August Rush? It is pretty good. The beginning two people have a one night stand. You don't see the "act", but that is it. The rest of the movie is really great. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched Miss Potter and it was excellent! Very cute and very family worthy. Definitely one you guys would like, it's about Beatrix Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put 'em both on our Blockbuster queue. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got a bunch of movies from the library, Miss Potter being one of them. But also Dear Frankie was one. I was just looking at the pile of movies and thought "Oh they would love that one" It's such a sweet movie.

    I have two others that I still have to watch, they might be good ones as well. will let you know once I see them. I think they are older ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you finished North and South... I'm happy when I get people to watch movies (and I do love that one!)
    Also, I second August Rush. I only got to hear it (at work), but from what I could tell it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cassie, Rachel reminded me that we watched Dear Frankie and really liked it.

    Katie, so YOU're the one who suggested North and South. Keep those suggestions coming!

    ReplyDelete