Friday, July 11, 2008

Necessity of Those Records

WPA has long advised that parents filling out the PI-1206 request confirmation from the Dept of Public Instruction that the form was received. I usually stick a post-it note on my submitted 1206, stating simply, "Please send a letter confirming that you have received our form" and include a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Philip is applying for an apprenticeship. We were amused a couple of months ago that they wanted his high-school transcript. Would his college transcript do? After all, it's from an official public school and not from some homeschool mommy. But no, they needed the high-school transcript.

Okay, so we found the transcript and mailed a copy. Today he was at the application for the unionized program. They need an official transcript with the school seal on it. So he wisely asks, "School seal??? I was homeschooled. There is no official school seal." They instructed him to send in photocopies of his paperwork for the state. I don't know if they require the 1206 or the acknowledgement back from the DPI that they received the 1206, but we'll send copies of both Official Papers from each year that he was homeschooled in high school.

Oh, gosh, I'm glad I kept them. I'm thankful for WPA's advice. I'm glad the records were in an easy-to-find location, safe from purging during a decluttering frenzy (or a move).

And for those who are curious, only half the guys who pass the tests actually get placed in an apprenticeship within the first year. Two-thirds of the guys who apply don't even pass the test, but Philip already took that and did exceptionally well. Problem is, nobody has been placed so far this year because the masters just aren't taking on apprentices right now. So it may be quite a wait.

3 comments:

  1. Susan,

    Perhaps Philip could find work as a plumber outside of the union. My father was a plumbing contractor, and spent nearly his entire career outside the union. Both of my brothers also learned the trade outside the union. I was never any good at it.

    -Pr. Fickel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if there would be a way to go about getting training and getting hired without going through the union. I'm not sure what Philip's found, or if the party-line out there is just "This is how you do it" and it's through the union??

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first place I talked to is non-union. That was the ABC place. However, those guys just aren't taking apprentices either.

    ReplyDelete