Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Garden

Jane recently wrote about her garden, and Glenda wrote in response about her farm market and her neighbors who share.

I never used to enjoy gardening. I would do it if necessary. The one year we actually had success was when we took a temporary paddock for a borrowed horse, and tilled it up for garden space. Hey, horse poop and spilled hay makes clay into good soil!

So here we are, in a new house, with a need to cut costs and be even more frugal than before. And now I want to garden. I'm not sure what's going on in me. Maybe there's something about having those baby plants come up and need care; in years past that was just draining because I had PEOPLE who needed so much care and I didn't have energy to waste on plants. Or maybe there's something about the need to make this place MINE that is helped along by putting my seeds into the dirt and getting food out of it. I'm not sure what it is, but there's some desire in me to garden that I never knew before. A friend is putting in extra rows of beans and some extra tomatoes for us, knowing that we aren't prepared to garden yet this year, what with having had to wait on the septic system before doing any tilling. But even with the assurance of beans and tomatoes from someone else (like Glenda has) I just love putting in a foot or two of lettuce every couple of weeks, and putting out one hill of melon in my tiny little patch of dirt south of the garage.

4 comments:

  1. Now that I have quit teaching I am looking forward to getting back to my garden. It is going great so far. There IS something about seeing those little tiny seeds pop out of the ground and turn into beautiful plants right before my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, we are gardening for the first time this year. I put in tomatoes, cumcumbers, and various peppers, okra. I got my first cumcumber today! We are mostly container gardening because it is much less work! ;-) I LOVE the fact we can grow something of our own and eat it! Debbie Theiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy gardening! I'm back to enjoying putting in flowers (I have limited space for those too). When he came through end of May, Pr. Anderson brought me some from the beds I planted while in IL. I love seeing them grow each year, getting more and more full.

    I also love seeing other people's garden's grow. The one lady I bought regularly from last year at the farmer's market lives just up the street from me, and I always look to see what is growing as I walk past on an evening walk around the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss my perennial gardens, which took so many years to build up. I'm compensating with a container garden on my deck. At least I can see things sprouting and growing now that it's finally getting warmer out.

    P.S. Sounds from the news reports like everyone should plant tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete