Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Effective Time

For nearly 20 years we've been having dinner mid-day. The main task of the morning was getting dinner ready. Of course there might also be errands or some schoolwork with the kids. But generally the plan was to eat mid-day and then get on with life during the afternoon and evening.

Now that we are eating in the early evening, I really struggle to get anything accomplished during the day. The pattern is drilled into me that I can buckle down to work (at non-food things, anyway) after dinner. But that isn't a good plan when "after dinner" starts about 7:00 or 8:00 in the evening. Somehow I've got to get my body readjusted and get my mind to agree. I'm just not sure how to get those daily patterns changed. I wish it were as easy as just starting to do it a different way, but that's not workin' so well. At least not yet. Routines and habits do not change just because my mind tells me that those habits have to get switched around Right Now. (Uh... maybe that difficulty in changing something is why we call it a habit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment