Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Wood Pile

One of the very best parts of my job is that there's lots of different stuff to do, and I get to be the one to decide when to do it. I can do loads of cooking on one day and then put it in the freezer for another day. The kids and I can have a reading marathon, or read one chapter per day. We can go for a walk or do laundry or hit up the library, as we decide would work best.

That's one of the things I feel bad about Gary losing. Now he has to go to work and be indoors doing his job, and can no longer adjust his days/duties based on weather or health or other needs.

Yesterday I had all sorts of things I wanted to catch up on, and I had no idea where to start. But the day was gorgeous, and back on Sunday Maggie and I had started cleaning up the pile of wood for the fireplace, getting rid of garbage and weeds and rotted wood. With rain due today, I wanted to get that project completed. So we spent the day outside, in the sun and the warmth and the lovely fresh air. We got a big chunk of work taken care of, and kept a nice little campfire going all day (and even cooked steaks over it for supper).

And ...
in the process of all that cleaning up,
we found (underneath the place where the woodpile used to be)

some very nice dirt already dug up and crumbly and black. So with relatively little work with a rake, we now have a tiny little bit of lettuce and kohlrabi planted.

Oh, dear. That's got me dreaming of asparagus and raspberries and strawberries. And tomatoes and beans and potatoes. And that stuff is probably still a long way away, what with turning lawn into garden (and not even knowing yet where we can do so, seeing as how we don't know where the new septic system is going to be placed).

Looking forward to fresh lettuce in 45 days! Oh boy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!

    I'm going to get some lettuce in this week.

    We have strawberry plants and a few volunteer tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete