Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Responsibility Levels

I get so frustrated when people don't do what they say they're going to do. The man who's going to be putting in our septic system said he'd stop by last week to see how the soil-moisture levels are doing. He didn't. When I called to check with him this week, I keep getting no answer.

I took Zippy in to get her a new left blinker after a little bump into her fender. I was supposed to be there at 8:00 when they opened. The employees didn't show up to open the repair shop this morning until 8:25.

The guy who said he'd take our pool hasn't started on the work. It's been over two weeks since I told him he could have it, and 12 days since we called him and told him that the deck was out of the way and that he was free to come over and start dismantling. He's been over here. But the work has not commenced. I'm going to have to get a hold of another volunteer to take the pool off our hands.

The pastor where we were visiting on Sunday got creative. Not only did he not stick to the book, but he tried to tell us that he actually was using the liturgy from Service of Prayer and Preaching. Uhhhh, NO. It had no resemblance to that.

Why can't people just do what they say they're going to do? I think sometimes Pastor B doesn't know what to do with my editing because I tend to be more like Scotty on Star Trek: I'd rather set up low expectations and then actually accomplish what I promised (and maybe even do better/more than what I intended). But it seems like too many people in the workplace today will over-represent what they can do, and then let down the customers. And on another tangent, that's why somebody should hire Philip; he'll do what he's supposed to do.

Given the selfishness exhibited in so many areas of society (driving habits, waiting in lines, not showing up for appointments, etc) I suspect that this problem in the business world is just going to get worse and worse as the years pass.

1 comment:

  1. Reading Etiquette Hell lately has made me realize that that kind of selfishness is prevalent everywhere. It's kind of horrifying to see.

    ReplyDelete