Saturday, May 03, 2008

Epitaph for a Home

I dropped Andrew off at drivers ed today, and then headed to the parsonage. The house had been emptied of all our belongings (except the refrigerator), but there was still quite a bit in the garage. During Andrew's class, I loaded the van with most of that stuff. When Gary got off work, he drove down, and one of the guys from church helped us load the big things into his trailer. So now everything's out, and we're done there.

It feels odd. On the one hand, it's good. That parsonage is mildew infested, centipede infested, and my bedroom window-sill is composed of wood crumbs and Asian beetle corpses glued together with too much paint. The parsonage is mildew infested [you think that's a mistake that I type that adjective twice? NO] and has rotten ventilation in the attic and a stupidly designed kitchen. It has not been infested with mice since we lived there because we kept cats (but it was plagued with mice for a couple of decades). The basement floods. Sizable wild mammals lived in the crawlspace at times. It was poorly insulated so that my bedroom was horribly cold all winter. The foundation is cracking. And by the way, it's mildew infested. Not a good house.

But still...
it's home.

This afternoon, after I'd loaded the van, waiting for the guys to show up, I looked around. I vacuumed that carpet thousands of times; I shampooed it dozens of times. Thousands of diapers flapped in the breeze on that clotheslines. I know the good hiding places on the lawn for Easter eggs. I painted those walls. My children picked those dandelions and brought me beeeeautfiul bouquets. Over there was my strawberry patch, and over here was Beau's pen and stable. The lilacs are late this year; I know because this is WPA weekend, and every year I prepped for my lectures with the perfume of lilacs. How many times did I hang streamers in this dining room to celebrate birthdays? The cutting board in this kitchen is where my children begged to help eat the apple peelings when applesauce was being made. This is where we got to know Matt and Nathan. That south patch of the lawn was where my children learned to make contact between a plastic bat and a whiffle ball, and which direction to head when you hit the ball. Those hostas that I transplanted and were so puny are now growing lush and full. That "weed" that showed up in my garden is now an aspen over 25' high. When I sit in the empty house and need to know the time, I look at the empty place on the wall where the clock lived for 17 years. When I sit in the empty house, killing time with my editing, and Fabrizius says something awesome, my eyes drift to the place on the wall where the crucifix is no longer hanging.

It may be a wretched building,
it may be a horrible house,
but it was my home.

10 comments:

  1. As often is the case in this sub-sub-culture that I am a part of, I have some few memories of your house, but memories which are immensely vivid. I think absolutely the highest of your family, Mrs. Gehlbach, and as little time that I spent, overall, with you, it left me always with the feeling that I had known you, your children, and seen your house, for far longer. I remember very specifically where Maggie introduced us to Athena, where Andrew showed me how to play Munchkin for the first time, where Paul and I waged an epic-mock-epic sword fight in the back yard, where Katie showed us her collection of photos from an MH event, where Phil showed us his hand-made wooden sword, and where Rachel pulled one of her two volumes of Matrix comics off of her packed bookshelf and pointed to the story written by Neil Gaiman.

    I remember walking with Ethan in the dead of night to his car to fetch his sleeping bag, and what we talked about while we walked. I remember where I was sitting in the basement, and where Heidi Bamattre was sitting, when I looked at her and thought she looked awfully cute.

    I never felt formal in that house, because I was always treated like family, but I never felt merely casual, because I was too filled with wonder.

    I feel like an emotional fop writing it, but despite the fact that I am sure I spent less than two weeks of my life at your old house, I will miss it very much as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in your memories and photographs it will always be your home.

    I pray that your new home will bring you just as much happiness and memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can add my own good memories, as well. I think it is the place I met Katie's Nathan (in person) for the very first time. It is the place of many Memorial Day gatherings, enjoying good food and great company...as we discussed life and the state of our synod. It is the place where our "babies" played in the sand or on the swing. It is the place where I saw Katie grow-up and I realized that girl could do anything she wanted to do. (I loved watching her climb.) Around the dinner table is when Rachel suggested the movie "The Importance of being Earnest"...which is now one of our favorites! It is the only other place, besides my own home, where I felt comfortable washing out cabinets with a dear friend. In the laundry area of that house I saw the crucifix and knew that my dear friend found the same comfort as I did in our Lord and dear Savior.
    It is the place that caused many of us to marvel at the great courage and strength that we saw in the pastor and his family as they all faced many trials. We all wondered if we could ever be that strong. It was a very difficult place to live, but some how, through God's grace, many good things happened there too...and for those I do rejoice with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was only there a few times- but I tend to agree with Nat.

    The condition of the house always faded into the background considering how well you guys treated company (or at least me- you may just like me more than most people I suppose...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cried when I left my 500 square foot, one-bedroom first apartment where I'd lived for less than two years. So I can't even imagine leaving a home after 17 years. (I REALLY can't imagine what it will be like when 205 S. Fair is no longer owned by Clarks.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll never forget the first time Lynea met the MH kids and you hosted the group from Houston and Dallas, your own dear (not yet)son-in-law included! She loved it and still comments on all of the fond memories today. The house and y'all were a blessing to many! Prayerfully, the new house will be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course my fondest memory of that house was meeting all of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your house story was almost like Law and Gospel...

    But I am looking forward to the NEXT chapter of good stories in a better house! Less than 2 weeks to end of concert season in this house... then maybe there will be time to sit in the sun again and make new memories in that better house!

    Get out on that deck and soak up some rays... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh the memories. Cherish them!
    I think it's harder on the parents than the kids.

    thank you for the preview of what to anticipate in moving. I'll be leaving my apt of 10 yrs and heading to Chicagoland due to finishing school and a job :)

    The nice part is now you have a new house with which to have even more memories! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AP, there are several really good places in Chicago. I'm sure your pastor knows where to send you. You may drive a lot further than you've had to drive for the last decade. But there should be something available for you.

    ReplyDelete