Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Cooking Therapy

After three days of being away from home virtually all day, I'm tired. I want to be home resting. At Matins this morning (on the way to getting Zippy's blinker fixed... so why am I talking about staying at home to rest today???) a friend asked if things were slowing down and how it was going.

I told him about the recent running around, and that I was looking forward to a day at home, just making granola and raking the yard and baking bread and making a real dinner and stuff like that. He looked at me and said, "No wonder you're tired!"

Tired? Tired from making granola and putzing around the kitchen? Those things are therapeutic! Those things are calm! Those things are refreshing! Too many days away from my stove and mixing bowls, and life is just not right.

2 comments:

  1. I SO agree, Susan. After days of classes, when I'm tired from concentration, reading, and study, nothing's so therapeutic as making a real supper for my family, starting yogurt, making granola, and cleaning the kitchen. And another therapeutic thing is mowing, weeding, and poking around my little pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. It is the days when I am doing things out of the house, errands, dr appts, etc. that I feel life is totally disrupted and overwhelming. Cleaning house, cooking for the family, chasing toddlers, while tiring at 4 months pregnant with twins, is also refreshing. I guess maybe it is that whole vocational fulfillment thing. Another thing may be that what I do in my home is at my pace, not the crazy, fast pace of the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete