Thursday, April 10, 2008

Untucked

The fashion with the kids is to leave your shirt untucked. Sometimes it might look a little sloppy, but that's no big deal. The thing about it that really gets me, though, is how the shirts are layered so that the underneath-shirt has a longer tail than the outside-shirt. There are so many reasons why it should make sense, but in my old-fashioned brain, that is just NOT how it's done. If your sweatshirt is shorter than your t-shirt, then it seems to me the t-shirt should be tucked so that it doesn't hang out.

I'm losing weight. My pants are getting too loose. I have to tuck my shirts, if for no other reason, the shirt provides extra padding just to keep my pants up.

Ah ha! There's the answer to the untucked shirts that are so fashionable! Kids today CANNOT tuck their shirts ... because their pants are too tight. The skin-tight pants probably necessitated the fashion of untucked shirts! Mystery solved. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I'd wear a belt before I'd tuck a non-dress shirt into a pair of pants. And it also looks silly to tuck in a shirt when the waist of the jeans is a couple inches below the belly button.

    And before you suggest that I get jeans that have a waistband at my waist... :-P if I do that, then I end up with bruised ribs when I sit down because the waistband moves up into uncomfortable territory due to the short torso I inherited from my mother...

    And this is one "kid of today's" opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I don't make a lot of effort to be fashionable, but one of my main rules is not to have an untucked undershirt hanging lower than whatever is on over it (unless I'm just wearing an unbuttoned shirt over it). I think it looks ridiculous. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wear layered shirts and I don't think I've tucked in a shirt since elementary school, but this was a super-funny post and I certainly had a good laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete