Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Loud Timer

I have burned too many things since we moved. The timer on the stove is not loud, and it beeps for all of 3 seconds. I just don't hear the noise. Being terribly preoccupied recently, I forget the granola or the muffins. And they burn overbake.

So I set myself to the task of going shopping [UGGGGGGGHHH!] for a timer that I could hear. I read labels and labels and more labels. I finally found a timer at Linens & Things that had an "extra loud" alarm and would "turn itself off after 2 minutes to preserve the battery." When I got it home and tried it out, the beep was even quieter than the one on the stove and lasted for all of ten whoppin' seconds. (I still am entirely clueless as to WHAT turns off after 2 minutes to preserve the battery. Because it sure ain't the alarm-noise.) I was pleased with the the store and thankful for their cheerful refund of my money.

So I internet-searched. I found an "extra extra loud" timer. I bought it and it arrived today. It's still not quite what I want, but it's good enough. I wish it were louder, but it's a darn sight louder than any other timer I've run across in recent years. And while I was testing the new toy, Philip could hear it while he was vacuuming in the next room. That says something about the volume!

The alarm buzzes for a full 60 seconds. Wooo hooo! Long enough that there's still something buzzing even if you missed the start of the beep. Another nice feature is that it doesn't just turn off and beep when the time runs out. Instead, it starts counting up so that you know how long ago the timer ran out; that'll help too! If you miss the alarm, it's nice to know whether you missed it by 3 seconds or by 5 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem here. The timer on the stove does NOT shut off by itself. I have to get up off my butt and turn it off. It has an annoying beep to it so that I hasten to shut it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, I used to have one of those that wouldn't turn off by itself. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our stove is like Presbytera's. Oh man. That thing is SO annoying - drives me INSANE. And it never shuts off!!! And it's "extra extra extra extra loud" (you can hear the things out in the hall way of our apartment).

    Mostly it's alright. You definitely know when something is done. But it'll drive you mad when you've got both hands full and can't get over to shut it off for several seconds.

    I could do with a slightly quieter and less annoying timer. It is, quite honestly, one of my biggest peeves about this apartment. ;-P (Which, over all, means that I love the place, considering my biggest complaint is an oven timer.)

    Then again, we have a little apartment and not a big house. I imagine I might think differently if we lived in a larger place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Nathan, I like your timer. I hear it. It beckons me to the stove whether I want to be beckoned or not. And after all, that's what a timer is for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For a minute, I thought of suggesting one of those cheap alarm clocks from Walgreens, but then I thought about how much I completely despise the sound of alarm clocks. It grates on me to hear them anytime, but especially when they're not serving me the purpose of actually waking up. Ugh, even thinking about the sound is making me a little crazy right now. I think I need to sleep more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously considered that, Anthea. But it sounded like a pain in the tuschie to try and make it work for 8 batches of 9-minute cookies, y'know?

    You have to go to India? There's no way out? I hope the trip turns out better than it's looking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another option is to have a timer that you clip on yourself or wear around your neck so that you're guaranteed to hear it no matter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, if it was possible for me to rip out our timer and give it to you, believe me when I say that I would be *more* than happy to do so. :-)

    But I think Katie's like you and she likes the timer. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. >But I think Katie's like you

    THAT's my girl!

    (Besides, Nathan, uhhhh, getting your security deposit back would be nice....)

    ReplyDelete