Monday, March 17, 2008

A Pietist?

An announcement was made after church yesterday (aka Palm Sunday). The youth group will meet Friday evening at 7:15 to go to the skating rink for the evening.

Now, this does not conflict with church, which is at 1:00 in the afternoon.

Nevertheless, I can't imagine planning an outing like that for Good Friday. I don't know why it bothers me so much. After my infant god-daughter's funeral, I took her siblings to the playground to burn off some energy and play with friends while her parents visited with all the out-of-town company. That didn't seem inappropriate. I don't think it's inappropriate to have potlucks after church services, or Easter egg hunts for the kids. I don't expect my kids to sit around and be somber all day on Good Friday. But somehow, the idea of a youth group outing on the evening of Good Friday just seems wrong. This is where I always question whether I'm being reasonable or too much the pietist.

8 comments:

  1. i would have agreed with you a few years ago... but Pastor Petersen provided some food for thought in 2006.
    http://www.redeemerfortwayne.org/blog.php?msg=3525

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of shoots to hell the notion of a three day service, eh? I agree. It's not appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, my guess is that it's not a matter of irreverence or celebration, but an unawareness that Holy Week exists. As far as I recall, the youth group leader has not been to a Maundy Thursday or Good Friday service in the last 17 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    I've had the same type of thoughts. This year my birthday falls on Good Friday and I just am having a hard time thinking that going out to dinner would be much of a celebration either before or after the service. Before, I should be preparing, and after, well, it just doesn't put me in a celebratory mood (nor should it).

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendi,

    My daughter's birthday fell on Good Friday this year too. We're taking her out for dinner tomorrow evening. She agreed: not eating was not her idea of celebrating her birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I'm totally in agreement with you on this. I can't imagine something similar at our church, but if there were, our children would not participate (nor would they want to).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your response would change my views. Bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know your a pietist when you find yourself asking if your a pietist. ;o)
    hehehe.

    ReplyDelete