Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Black Bean Pancakes

I had a gallon-size can of black beans (thank you, Karin!) and part of it remained from the recipe I made a few days ago. A while back, Philip had had some black-bean patties that sounded good. I web-surfed for a recipe and finally got around to making it tonight. It was NOT what I wanted -- it was more pancakey and less beany. But it was good, especially topped with a hefty amount of salsa. I have requests for repeats from nearly everyone in the house, and that's a good sign! But next time I'll probably toss in some garlic and cumin with the flour before adding the wet ingredients.



Corn and Black Bean Pancakes

Whisk to combine:
1 cup flour (I used 1/3 ww and 2/3 white)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup milk

Stir in:
3/4 cup fresh corn (I thawed some frozen corn)
3/4 cup well-drained black beans

Fry pancakes.
Serve with salsa.

5 comments:

  1. At first I thought you were thanking me for the pancakes! I've never made you pancakes. Your welcome. Thank you for the recipe! I am always looking for a new way to enjoy good ol' black beans. Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've ordered a black bean burger at one of the restaurants on N. Prospect. Think I made some one time. But haven't tried pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound good. Are they sweet like pancakes? There is no sugar in them. Do you mean they are like pancakes because they are fluffy? I might have to give them a try.

    I make a pancake type dish with shredded zuchini, Italian bread crumbs, egg, and parmesan cheese. Yummy!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. Black beans are a favorite around here and recipes like this can help stretch the ever-tightening grocery budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi, they're not sweet at all. Not really fluffy either. They're more like potato pancakes or zucchini pancakes. We actually thought they tasted a little bland, but nevertheless compelled ya to pick up yet another one. They were okay, but not super thrilling. The salsa really livened them up and made them great! Next time I'll go heavier on the beans and corn, and add something like cumin or chili powder or some other blend of Mexican spicing.

    ReplyDelete