Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Gas Cap

I screwed up. A couple of months ago I dropped the gas cap when I was filling the tank. A tiny little ring-shaped liner fell out of the middle of the inside of the gas cap. When I looked in the owners manual and online, it said that this could cause a problem. But it didn't. Things were fine.

Then a few days ago the "check engine" light came on. Turned out today that it wasn't a real problem (whew!!!!) but that the loss of that little ring meant the gas cap was not sealed tightly enough. The new gas cap cost $15. The diagnostic procedure, however, cost $90. Thank heavens for the honest mechanic who didn't exploit my stupid mistake.

If I'd known, I could've solved this problem before it started. Hopefully somebody else will be prevented from a similar screw-up.

5 comments:

  1. We just went through the same problem with Rebekah's car...too much oxygen in the tank, I believe. We put on a new gas cap and we are still getting a check engine light...so it is not getting rid of the problem, but the car runs fine. We have to look into it a bit more.

    I really don't like care stuff...but it is nice to have a mechanic you can trust.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. $90 for that and you don't feel exploited?

    ok....

    Please call me next time your computer is acting funny!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, in comparison to what I've always paid before for computer diagnostics on the car engine, that actually seems pretty decent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Checkers, the auto store, does free engine diagnostics for most makes/models.

    I've heard tell other stores do similar things.

    Those stupid diagnostic fees are a joke... considering they plug a little computer in that tells them the answer in seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to make you feel better... Our Suburban needed power steering fluid I put it where I remember the mechanic showing me it needed to go...I remembered wrong. Put it in the hydraulic brake resevoir. $400 later Dh spent our vacation when we were supposed to go to LA replacing the brakes and brake lines. But we saved the money of the labor b/c he did it himself.

    Definitely a "blonde moment"!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete