Saturday, March 22, 2008

Garnish

I don't do pretty. I do practical. Do what needs to be done, and do it as efficiently as possible so as to get to the next thing that's demanding my attention ... because after all, there's never enough time. I'm not happy with the fact that I'm that way and would like to remedy it, but it seems (oddly enough! - LOL) that there isn't time for that.

Yesterday I made fruit smoothies for lunch. Cantaloupe and strawberries and bananas with orange juice. (All of those, except the bananas, were on sale 2-for-1 and so that brought them down to normal Woodman's prices, so I was willing to buy them at my local grocery store.) Andrew looked at those humongous strawberries and decided to snatch one before it went into the Cuisenart to use as garnish on the edge of the smoothie glasses. A little touch. It took him all of 10-15 seconds to do it. But what was the response? Every single person in the house gave a little gasp and an "oooooooh" when handed that pretty glass with the little strawberry-slice garnish.

Maybe I should read Hidden Art again, and slow down, and take the book to heart.

4 comments:

  1. Susan, you may think you take the quickest, most practical path, but you had fresh fruit smoothies for lunch yesterday. We had Campbell's chicken noodle soup. Even without the strawberry garnish, your lunch sounds a whole lot prettier (and healthier, and "crunchier") than ours! So cut yourself some slack--you're doing great! (And I wish I could be more like you! But there just isn't time!)
    :-)
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew I'd read Cheryl's comment and get a bit of advice for myself. :) (Thanks, Cheryl!)

    I do read Hidden Art often... several times a year. Because I constantly forget that people do notice the little things. They aren't necessary, but they are NICE. That and the fact that I'm not a very creative person when I'm busy and Mrs. Schaeffer gives me ideas (which I forget between each reading...) that are inexpensive and easy to implement.

    As to CANTALOUPE in smoothies? Who woulda thunk it? Certainly not me. I may have to give that a try... especially when they're on sale.

    I haven't posted much recently, but I've still been reading. :) And praying for you all as you transition to this new path.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya...I used to try and do pretty more often, now I am just too tired and if I want to stay happy I have had to learn to simplify. So...no special Easter outfits this year, we have plenty of nice things to wear. I bought dessert at Aldi and I got little carrots so I don't have to peel them. I bought store bought rolls...so all I have to do tomorrow is peel potatoes. You cook home made meals...I think that is included in Hidden Art. People remember food.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're more of Martha Stewart the I am! I don't do "pretty", I don't do gardens, I don't do smoothies nor do I do anything that will add anything "extra" to my day.

    The reason why is simple ...

    I am an expert at "just getting by".

    ReplyDelete