Saturday, December 08, 2007

Psalm 90

Till this morning, whenever I've prayed this psalm I hear the music of "Our God, Our Help in Ages Past" going through my mind. I've always heard this psalm in terms of us and our needs and what God does today. But today I realized this was written by Moses. My head knew that before: it's written right at the top of the psalm. Today, though, I realized it.

Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.
During those 400 years in Egypt. And when Abraham was bopping around Canaan as a nomad. And when Jacob had run away to Uncle Laban. The Lord had all along been their dwelling place.

For a thousand years in Your sight are like yesterday when it is past.
So I guess 400 years is, like, less than half of yesterday, huh?

You turn man to destruction.... You carry them away like a flood.
And all of Pharaoh's horses and all of Pharaoh's men were floating dead on the Red Sea when morning dawned.

For all our days have passed away in Your wrath.
Except for the kids and Joshua and Caleb, all of Moses' followers passed away in the wilderness of Sinai, as they waited until the nation was permitted into the Promised Land.

Let Your work appear to Your servants, and Your glory to their children.
And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us.

Their hands had worked at the artisanry of building the tabernacle, weaving the tapestries, shaping the goldwork. And that tabernacle brought to them the glory and beauty of the Lord as He forgave their transgressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment