Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Homeschool Laugh

My friend Karin posted an article on her blog from the Secular Homeschool Magazine ($7 per issue, which is $28 for a one-year subscription). Deborah Markus is the author of a "Bitter Homeschooler's Wish List."

It includes items such as
15. Stop asking, "But what about the Prom?" Even if the idea that my kid might not be able to indulge in a night of over-hyped, over-priced revelry was enough to break my heart, plenty of kids who do go to school don't get to go to the Prom. For all you know, I'm one of them. I might still be bitter about it. So go be shallow somewhere else.
and
18. If you can remember anything from chemistry or calculus class, you're allowed to ask how we'll teach these subjects to our kids. If you can't, thank you for the reassurance that we couldn't possibly do a worse job than your teachers did, and might even do a better one.

Go check out the new magazine and enjoy a giggle!

2 comments:

  1. Having homeschooled for 7 years and now putting the children into a fine Lutheran public school I can tell you this.

    I haven't stopped homeschooling!!

    My 3 littlest ones are homeschooled. They are too young to attend, so I teach them before they are old enough to attend.

    My oldest 5 children go to school daily, yet I am over their shoulders just as much as I was when they were being homeschooled making sure they understand what they are learning and completing their work.

    The only difference is that someone else is grading the papers and explaining the work (the two areas that I was happy to hand over). Yet I still feel that I am homeschooling ... it is just a little bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to see that there are clever homeschool moms still fighting the good, but never ending, fight!
    I think my favorites were 18 and 20...
    Excellent post!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete