Friday, July 06, 2007

Andy

Someone asked me a question about Andy. I drew a blank. Casting through the recesses of my brain, I couldn't for the life of me figure out who we were talking about or what the topic was. I couldn't even figure out anything in the conversation that could've led us to discussing this Andy-guy and what he was up to.

Finally I gave up. "Andy WHO?"

The person looked at me with the biggest "duh!" look on her face: "Well, your son, of course!"

My son is NOT Andy. He's Andrew. Of course, I can't hold the use of the nickname against somebody; lots of people do go by the shortened form. But still, please, they oughtn't be surprised when I don't know who they're talking about. Phil for Philip is something I can "hear" because it's the first half the name. Same for Sue. It usually registers in my brain when somebody says Sue that they're talking to me -- but seeing it in print still looks funny to me. But when somebody goes to Susie, that doesn't click in my brain at all. They may as well call me Gloria or Betty as to call me Susie; the response from me would be the same.

7 comments:

  1. I love your blog Gretta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Billy! I like Nancy's too, so I can see pictures of your apartment, and check on her job status, and stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, My husband tells of the time when he was a kid and answers the phone. The caller asks for "Ed." "Sorry no Ed here, you must have the wrong number my husband,then a boy, replies and then hangs up. He said he never thought about it until much later when he realized they were asking for his dad, Edgar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I started reading your post I couldn't figure out who they were asking about either! :)

    Andy is my stuffed Teddy Bear. Your son--and ours--are Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sport a particular grin when we have no clue who people are talking about. Our family is the same - Matthew, not Matt, Karin not Karen (that really throws me as it doesn't sound even remotely the same), Anna's name causes problems......so I hear ya and understand the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the same way for me when people call me John instead of Jonathan...I really don't do it on purpose, it just 'click' as my name.

    On that point, if someone tells me their name is Richard, then that's what I will call him - Not Rich, Richy or Dick. So, I just don't get it when someone goes through the effort to ask me my name that after I say "Jonathan", they go "Hi John."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Theo's gym teacher called me once and kept referring to him as Ted. Ted????

    ReplyDelete