Sunday, May 13, 2007

Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires

In an attempt to clean up some sorry old cast iron skillets my mom found in the attic, my husband started a fire out in the burn pit. He got a nice fire going and buried the skillets so as to burn off old grease and food and rust. When I went out there for a moment, I noticed a nearby stump smoking. Three weeks ago, he got the fire so big that he actually set a nearby tree ablaze. Today the remainder of the tree was again on fire.

"Uh.... do you know that that tree stump over there is on fire?"

"Yeah. I do."

"Ummm. Okay. Just so you know....."

Unbelievable. I'm not sure whether to hide the matches or just go on the assumption that that one particular tree was suicidal.



(By the way, Mom, the big skillet couldn't take the heat. The little one, though, is ready for Rachel and her steel wool.)

3 comments:

  1. I have the same scenario here Susan so my sympathies. My strategy is to pretend the fire isn't happening but I might peak out the window at 1:00am just to make sure things are firing up again. Massive fires!!!! I think fires to guys are the same as chocolate to women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fires at 1:00am are not massive, just the original fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit (a month) behind commenting, but I'll agree belatedly with the last comment for guy kind. We love fire. :D

    ReplyDelete