Thursday, May 17, 2007

Called by Name

Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name;
you are Mine. (Isaiah 43:1)


This verse is usually used to show that God knows us so well that He knows my name. But Pastor has talked about this passage in connection with baptism. He has suggested that it's about God calling us by HIS name.

When Middendorfs adopted their daughter, they made her theirs and gave her the family name. Sure, they called her by her first name. But because she became their very own daughter, she was given the name "Middendorf."

Last summer, my daughter Katie was called by a new last name: Fischer. Yes, Nathan calls her "Katie." But that doesn't particularly make her his. Calling her "Mrs Fischer," however, shows that she is his. Matt was pleasantly surprised by Rachel's desire to be called by his name. Apparently, he knows very few young women his age who want to "belong to" a man such that they would be called by his name.

Fear not.
I have redeemed you.
I have put the name "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" upon you when the water was poured over you and the sign of the holy cross was placed upon your forehead and upon your heart to mark you as one redeemed by Christ the crucified.
I have made you My bride and given you My name.
You are Mine.

1 comment:

  1. Sus, I LIKE this thought! I belong to Dad. And I am glad of it!

    ReplyDelete