Saturday, September 30, 2006

Turkey-Dinner Work Anyway

Resigned to the fact that I would have to work at church's fund-raiser today, I hurried off to do paper routes, returned home, got several things taken care of in the kitchen and laundry room, and arrived at church only 20 minutes late. Everything was running smoothly everywhere and my presence there was quite pointless. So I came home and took care of some deskwork.

I was free! I didn't have to be forced into something I didn't want to do. Hooray!

I went back about 45 minutes later to see if they needed any help. I went of my own free will. They did need help. I worked in one area, then another, changing jobs and responsibilities, just pitching in wherever things were most behind.

And it was okay. Really okay!

Part of me thinks I should feel guilty for being so unwilling to do the work when I was told to do it. Like I was just being contrary. But another part of me thinks there's something theological here -- something about what Church is all about, and that it's not about forcing people to DO but inviting people to receive, and also accepting their offerings of work (or money) but without compelling them to do so.

So I had a perfectly decent time working at the turkey dinner. And one of the sweet mommas at church let Maggie be her sidekick, so that Maggie was permitted to help indoors where it less likely for her to catch a cold.

And at the end of the evening, a conversation took an interesting little twist, and I found out where I can get milk.

3 comments:

  1. I don't officially sign up to anything but to bring pie. This I don't mind, because I'm a picky eater. Since I'm going to have to attend and consume I look forward to enjoying something I savor. That being said, while I don't ever "sign up" I'm usually there. Not always during prep, because frankly I just seem to be in the way, but there's always a need at clean up time or something to be done in the kitchen. The kids even enjoy chipping in to help dry dishes and the like. Wish it were that way at home : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it went well!

    I think there is an issue involved with "being forced" or maybe viewing your status as being obligated because you are the pastor's wife.

    I'm glad that it ended up being an issue of "free will" :) though.

    And you got raw milk! Woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish it were as simple as offering to bring a pie. This is a fundraiser where they feed nearly 700 people the whole sheebang of a Thanksgiving dinner. And our church attendance is only about 60 people a week. So it's okay to sign up to bring 40 pies, but bringing one isn't enough. ;-)

    I only partially see myself as "forced" because of being the pastor's wife. Everybody is pretty much forced to help. But when I've insisted on keeping my involvement very minimal in the past, I have seen that it's less forgivable for me to take a small role than it is for some others to do the same thing. I think the thing that really bothers me is that this year I got told what to do when I had chosen not to sign up. And I'm enough of a wuss that I just can't leave them stuck without somebody to do the job that I was told to do.

    It IS amazing, though, how much of a difference it makes when you're doing the work because you choose to instead of because you're obligated!

    ReplyDelete